1. I went for my walk this morning WITH the camera, thank you very much. Now there weren't any cool birds hanging out waiting for me to walk by**, but I did see this:
That is one SERIOUSLY determined woodpecker! That pole is in use (live wires!) and those things are SOLID, but this one now has a cozy looking home drilled away in it. And it's about 3 poles down from my house. And I never noticed it before today. I love these little surprises!
Anyway, I decided that, as long as the weather co-operates, I'll carry my camera with me. I'll walk as fast as I can away from the house for 20 minutes and then turn around and walk home. On the way home I'm allowed to stop and take photos. I agreed with myself that this was a reasonable compromise. Today the sun didn't even clear the treetops until I was almost ready to turn around, so Mother Nature is working with me on this one.
**I'm playing a fun game of what was that bird? Anyone able to help?
2. As part of my plan to get fit again, I'm trying to eat a better breakfast. I've been enjoying a bowl of granola with chia seeds and vanilla yogurt, and then I have a piece of fruit (banana today!). Problem--those chia seeds are sneaky! They stick in your teeth like nobody's business! I seriously have to floss after breakfast, brushing misses a few of the more determined ones. This morning I ate at the computer and was determined to ignore them while I read everything in my reader but there was one that was bugging me. I picked it out with my fingernail and it had already started sprouting! Ewwww! (Probably TMI but I had to share with somebody!) Actually, this probably makes them even better for my health because my dental hygenist wants me to floss daily, and now I DEFINITELY am!
3. Typepad has a couple of new features. One is awesome sauce and the other is super crazy annoying.
The awesome one is that I can now check a box when I publish a post and have it link to facebook. Fun! Except that I'm not sure if it's showing up on anyone's news feed or if it just goes to the links page. Could one of you facebook pals let me know? Thanks!
The annoying one? Well, when I hit reply to reply to your comments (I try to always do so!), typepad now sends them back to the blog so they show up in the comments box. How obnoxious! And I only noticed it this morning. Grrr! So from now on I'll try to remember to change the address in the "to" section of emails so that YOU get my reply and not the blog.
4. Our elementary school's PTA (only they call it something else here, but it's the PTA) has vacancies. I've been trying to decide whether or not to volunteer. I think I probably will. I mean, I do have 3 kids attending that school now. I just don't know how much time it's going to take and I don't want to spread myself thin. Plus I'm very disagreeable when it comes to fundraising. I have almost as many reasons reasons for as against lined up in my brain. Are any of you PTA veterans? Can you offer advice?
5. Next week I'm going to start something I'm calling "Flashback Friday". My family has done a LOT of fun stuff that I've never shared just this summer alone. Plus I have some really old family photos that I may feel prompted to share. It'll just be something fun that I've never blogged about that I decide I want to talk about. Cool?
I'm not starting today because of the date. I do have flashbacks to another September 11, one that looked much like today, but I'm not going to share them today. Instead I'm going to encourage you to have your own remembrance in your own way.
BONUS: I just wanted to share another photo, because it made me go awwwwwwwwww